AP Biology Assignments
Please check your Erie School District email. I have resent information to join Google Classroom if you haven't signed up yet. Mandatory online instruction begins on Monday, April 20.
Next Monday we will begin our Mandatory online learning. I just wanted to give you a preview of what I will be asking you to complete for next week. We will be picking up where we left off on March 13th- that is with the DNA lab. At this point all that should be left to complete is data analysis and completion of the lab. I will be asking you to photograph and copy pictures into a word document or you can type into the lab document that I will provide online. If you have not completed through the pre-lab you will need to do this as this was expected to be done prior to 3/13. Also if you were absent and excused and missed any graded work the two weeks prior to 3/13 you may submit before 3/20.
1) Online Classroom: As you know by know, online instruction for Erie's Public Schools will begin on April 20, 2020. I will be using Google Classroom as our platform for AP Biology. I sent and email out to everyone on Friday through your Erie School District email with the password. You must use your Erie School District Email to sign up. If your having issues try these two things: 1) Make sure you're using your Erie School District email. 2) Try changing/updating your Erie School District email password (this worked for me). If you are still having issues email me at email@example.com.
2) AP Exam: If you originally signed up to take the AP Exam but have decided you will not be taking the exam you must email Ms. King ASAP if you would like a refund for the test. They are not sure when refunds will be given since we are not able to get into the building at this point.
AP Exam Information:
Online Test Date: Monday, May 18th @ 2:00 pm (Make-Up: Wednesday June 3 @ 4 pm
Here is a link that provides more information as to the content and makeup of the newly designed test: AP Biology New Exam.
In addition the College Board will be providing Live Sessions to teach content that is on the test as well as content from Units 7-8 which is not on the test. See 3) Underneath
3) Enrichment ssignments for this week: I am providing a link to the AP Biology You Tube Live Video learning opportunities - you can also access previous videos as well.
Good Morning! I have added some enrichment assignments for next week. The first is just a video that explains how testing for COVID-19 works- so cool since we just learned about the PCR technique in our electrophoresis lab. The video is about 7 minutes long.
Next I have added 3 videos each about 5 minutes in length that explain gene mutations. The videos are followed by some Ch 17 practice problems (These are also in your notes- pg 22)
Keep in mind that I am not collecting this work. We will be picking up with this material when we return from this extended break.
Good Morning! I hope you are all doing well and staying safe and germ free. I just wanted to share some AP Updates with you especially for those of you who have signed up to take the AP Exam. Everything is changing so quickly and I will do my best to keep you as updated and informed as possible.
AP announced its plans last week for Coronavirus affected schools. They will be giving you the option to either cancel your test at no charge or take a 45 online free-response test. If you choose to test, your AP credits will be accepted by colleges as any other AP credit you have earned. The test will be accessible via computer, tablet, or smartphone. If you do not have technology available but would still like to take the test please let me know. The content of the test has been reduced to only the first 75% of the course. The good news is there is very little content we haven't covered yet on this schedule. It ends at the unit we are currently working through - and so you would just need a few more topics! I will provide resources for you to cover this content- some of which will be review. I have every confidence that all of you can be successful on this exam.
Below is the content that will be covered by the test and what is not covered on the test.
Content on the Test
Unit 1 Chemistry
Unit 2 Cells
Prokaryotic, Eukaryotic, Organelles, Cellular Transport (Osmosis and Diffusion)
Unit 3 Energetics
Enzymes, Photosynthesis, and Respiration
Unit 4 Cell Communication and Cell Cycle
Cell Signaling Pathway, Cell Cycle, Mitosis
Unit 5 Genetics
Meiosis and Genetics
Unit 6 Gene Expression and Regulation
DNA, DNA Replication, Protein Synthesis, Mutations, Gene Regulation, DNA Technologies- Electrophoresis, Transformation
Not on Test
Unit 7 Evolution
Natural Selection, Artificial Selection, Hardy Weinberg, Evolution
Unit 8 Ecology
Unit 6 Bold are the topics we haven't covered in class. I will be providing material to you for these topics over the next couple of weeks. Unit 7 is not to be tested- however I'm guessing you may see a little bit.
College Board is offering 45 minute review sessions presented by AP Teachers via youtube. I will be providing you a link. They are live but you can access anytime - the reviews begin on Wednesday. The first three posted reviews are on Unit 7- yes the Unit they said would not be covered on the test. However, College Board did advise that they would be supplying lessons on the material not covered as well. I would highly recommend looking at this!
Class Enrichment Assignments for the Week of 3/23:
The following assignments are meant for us to be able to continue our progression in the AP Biology Curriculum. It is with the expectation that we will be in a face to face learning environment soon where we will have the opportunity to work out any questions or concerns you may have with the content. Please try your best to complete the assignments and feel free to email me with any questions. In the meantime get some much needed rest and stay safe and healthy.
1) Complete DNA Electrophoresis Lab
2) Complete Notes and Self Checks for Central Dogma (Protein Synthesis)
3) **If you have not yet submitted your Fruit Fly Lab or Henrietta Lacks Essays- these assignments are now late. Please submit them.**
Past Due Assignments
Date Due: 03/30/2020
Date Due: 03/30/2020
Date Due: 03/30/2020
Date Due: 03/30/2020
Date Due: 04/30/2020