Welcome to my page!Name: Mrs. KonkelSchool: McKinleySchool Phone: 814-874-6870Room #: 18Classes: 2nd GradeWelcome Message: Welcome 2nd Grade! Please complete the following activities this week. Hope you are all staying safe. I miss you!Week of April 14, 2020Please complete the following activities daily...1. Log in and get smarter with iReady math.2. Log in and get smarter with Amplify reading.3.Please read for at least 15 minutes each day.
Assignments for Week of April 6, 20201. Please read to self for 20 minutes each day!2. Please visit Amplify for reading practice.3. Please visit iReady for math practice.Assignments for Week of March 30, 20201. Read "Brooklyn "2. Answer comprehension questionsBrooklyn
Kim took Kurt by the hand and the two of them set off so that Kim could look for a job.
It was a summer morning in Brooklyn. There were lots of cars on the streets. There were people walking here and there. A man was sweeping the street outside his shop.
Kim and Kurt walked until they got to Prospect Park.
Kurt looked into the park as they went past. He saw people playing frisbee. He saw people on bikes. He saw a man playing fetch with his dog. He saw soccer players on their way to a game. He saw runners on their way to the gym.
“Can we stop and play?” asked Kurt.
“No,” Kim said. “I have to get a job.”
Kurt slumped a bit to let Kim see that he was sad, but he kept walking.
“Kim,” he said after a bit, “will having a job make you a grownup?”
“Well, sort of,” said Kim. “I’m in college. I think that makes me part kid and part grownup.”
“Will you still have time to play with me?”
“Yes!” Kim said, rubbing Kurt’s arm. “We will have lots of time to play. I’ll get a part-time job, one that is not too hard. That way, I will not be too tired when I get home. Then we can play.”
“You should get a job at the Bronx Zoo!” Kurt said. “Then you can play with the snakes and tigers.”
Kim said. “I don’t think so. I don’t like snakes. But we can visit the zoo later this summer. After I get a job, I will have cash to do fun things like that.”
Just then Kim saw two old pals waving at her.
“Lynn!” she yelled. “Sheryl! What’s up?”
Lynn and Sheryl crossed the street. “Hi, Kim!” said Lynn. “Are you home from college for the summer?”
“Yes,” said Kim. “It’s good to be back here in Brooklyn!”
Kim slapped hands with her pals. Then she said, “You two have met Kurt, haven’t you?”
Lynn and Sheryl nodded. Lynn stooped down to look at Kurt and said, “Hi, big man! Would you like to come with us? We are going over to Drummer’s Grove to see the drummers.”
“Drummer’s Grove?” Kurt said. “Can we go, Kim? Can we? Can we? Can we?”
Kim hesitated. She needed to get started on her job hunt. But she wanted Kurt to have fun, too. If she dragged him off without seeing the drummers, there was a chance he would get mad and fuss all day. That would not be much fun.
“Okay,” she said at last. “But just for a bit. I need to get started with my job hunt.”
1. Where are Kim and Kurt?
Kim and Kurt are in .
A. Manhattan B. Brooklyn C. Bronx
2. When Kim and Kurt get to Prospect Park, what does Kurt want to do?
Kurt wants to
A. eat ice cream
B. go to the gym
C. look for a job
D. stop and play
3. Why is Kurt sad?
Kurt is sad because
A. Kim says he cannot get ice cream
B. Kim says Kurt must look for a job
C. Kim says that they cannot stop and play
D. Kim says Kurt must go home
4. Why is Kim looking for a part-time job? Kim wants to have time to .
A. read books for college
B. play and do fun things with Kurt
C. sleep late each morning
D. exercise at the gym
5. Where do Lynn and Sheryl invite Kim and Kurt to go? They invite Kim and Kurt to go with them to .
A. the Bronx Zoo
D. Drummer’s Grove
Hello Second Grade Families,
Please continue to have your child use the CKLA Amplify reading daily for 30 minutes, as well as the link for i-ready math for 30 minutes daily, if you are able to log in.
Online Accessibility Links
- CKLA Amplify (Reading)
- This is the link to the online reading program. Students use this program to practice various reading skills in addition to classroom work.
- This is the link to the online math program. Students use this program to practice math skills, giving students extra practice.
- Second Step
- This is the link to the curriculum used for social emotional learning.
- Go to the webiste.
- Under New Users, click “Create Account”
- Complete the required fields
- Add Program Activation Key: SSPE FAMI LY68
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- This link provides additional learning opportunities for students, such as fiction and nonfiction read alouds, informational videos, and various extention activities.
- Bookflix, Trueflix, Watch & Learn Library
User Name: Learning20
- Bookflix (grades prekindergarten through 3rd grade) and Trueflix (3rd grade and beyond) has read aloud material for students.
- Watch & Learn Library has various learning journeys across grade levels (grades prekindergarten through 3rd grade).
- Follet Destiny (District Library Catalog) from Erie Public School's webpage under the parent section.
- Scroll until you find the name Follet Destiny, click. Find McKinley Elemetnary School, click.
- Choose from a variety of links containing activities for students. Here are a few great ones!
- Math Flashcards
- Online fun with flashcards
- Free Printable Worksheets for math and reading practice
- This link provides additional free printable resources.
- CKLA Amplify (Reading)