Academic Excellence Ceremony
Every May, we recognize those students who have achieved Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Summa Cum Laude honors throughout the first three quarters of the school year. (See the Honor Roll page for a complete explanation of these three levels of distinction.) The ceremony is typically in late May.
The ceremony is a chance for the entire Collegiate Academy family — students and their families, teachers, and deans — to celebrate the academic achievement of our students. Each student is called up to the stage by name to receive a certificate and shake the deans' hands.
The ceremony also recognizes several other achievements:
- We announce the Teacher of the Year, who was voted to that honor by his or her colleagues. Congratulations to 2017/2018's teacher of the year, Ms. Heather Chaffee!
- We recognize the National Merit Scholars in the senior class; these students earned that honor based on their junior-year PSAT scores.
- We recognize the AP scholars in the senior class; these students earned that honor based on the number of Advanced Placement tests on which they scored highly.
- Each academic department announces the student who, by that department's vote, has earned its department scholarship.
- Several guests from the community award various scholarships to members of the senior class.
- We recognize those seniors who have been accepted to highly selective colleges and universities.
The audience is also treated to a performance by Collegiate Academy's Vocal Jazz students. The ceremony is followed by a dessert reception in the dining hall.