Art Education in Erie's Public Schools
The mission of Erie's Public Schools Art Education department is to nurture confident, creative thinkers inspiring a visual culture of academic and professional integrity.
The vision is for every student in Erie's Public Schools to achieve literacy in the areas of production, art history, criticism and aesthetics. This will be accomplished through quality art education programs that include:
- Instruction by certified Art teachers
- Standards-based, sequential, K-12 comprehensive art curriculum
- Developing visual literacy through creative problem solving, diverse learning and self-expression
- Character development through guided practices that build self-worth, self-discipline and confidence
- Data-driven instruction
- Curriculum reviews to ensure consistency of implementation
Our Vision and Mission will be supported by:
- Providing equitable access to quality art education
- Increasing involvement with families and local stakeholders
- Increasing engagement with Erie's Public Schools educational community
- Establishing a framework to ensure sustainability
The overall goal of the Art Education department is to create an exemplary program that sets the benchmark for excellence in an urban environment to develop creativity and critical thinking where confident students understand and appreciate art in society as life-long learners.