Dear EPS families:
It’s been a busy summer in Erie’s Public Schools as efforts are underway to implement “Mobilizing Community, Igniting Excellence,” our district’s six-year strategic plan. We are grateful to so many of you who attended public meetings to add your voice to this plan, and to ensure that it truly represents our community’s vision for education in Erie.
During 2018-19, our schools will focus their work to begin making strides toward the goals identified in the plan, which include improvements in academic achievement for all students at all stages of their development. Based on our belief in the inherent potential of all students, the plan challenges us to reach the following six game-changing targets by 2024:
- At least 90% of students achieving proficiency in Reading by the end of Grade 3
- At least 90% of students achieving a 95% attendance rate
- 100% of students in grades K-12 participating in a real-world community project
- At least 70% of students in grades 3-8 achieving proficiency in Reading/Language Arts and at least 60% of students achieving proficiency in Math
- Achieving proportionality in disciplinary practices by ensuring 50% reduction in behavior incidents involving black/African-American students
- 100% of students obtaining a high school diploma and 0% of students dropping out of school
Although these challenges are daunting, Erie’s Public Schools is confident in the knowledge that we are not alone in this work. Over the past year, our community partners have increased efforts to align their support of our schools to ensure that we are all working towards common goals.
While these community efforts are important, we know that you -- the parents and families of our students -- remain our most critical partners. For that reason, we are asking you to make a renewed effort this year to support your student by making sure they attend school regularly and staying connected with their schools and teachers. We’ve included some expanded information in this year's Family Information Guide to help you support your student and encourage you to regularly visit the district’s website for updated information and resources.
The first day of school will be here soon on August 27! Before that date, please carefully review the information included in the Family Information Guide with your child and do not hesitate to contact your child's school with any questions or concerns.
On behalf of the Board of School Directors and the entire administration and staff of Erie’s Public Schools, I wish you and your family a successful and rewarding school year!
Brian J. Polito, CPA
Superintendent of Schools